Wednesday, January 9, 2008

From My Little Corner of the World

As I am sitting here this morning at my desk in our office, out in the middle (or the edge, actually) of Kansas, I have communicated with a wide array of people. From this location, I talked someone across town through making some changes on his web page, and he will be showing his new on-line catalogs to people all over the world. Joe is taking an on-line course that he started last week, and he is communicating with the instructor. I have web site updates from customers, some here in our area, and some clear across the U.S. on the East Coast. I had several technical newsletters in my email this morning, along with alerts for the latest PC threats from the Internet. One of my favorite places to buy plug-ins for Adobe Photoshop sent me an email newsletter; I think I'm going to buy the Color Toolbox. In all, I had 8 newsletters in my email this morning, and I subscribe to all of them. And, yes, I received some spam, but since I keep my spam filter updated, most of them went quietly to bit heaven without bothering me. I have been in touch with one of my programmers who I have not actually seen in person for over a year - but we talk all of the time through email, and he works on the projects that I give him, and we share files through our server. I have purchased two domains from GoDaddy. That's just in the last three hours.

The Internet has become part of our everyday lives for most of us today. But, sometimes we fail to appreciate just what we have at our finger tips when we sit down on our PC's and connect. I don't know of any other method of communication that has come along in the last 20 years or so that has had such an impact on our lives. There is so much potential available to a small business today, if you just take advantage of the number of people you can potentially contact just by putting a site on the Internet, and inviting people to visit, or sending out a newsletter.

If you are a small business owner and have not yet published a web site, contact us, and let us get you started, and you can communicate from your corner of the world, too.

No comments: